Can I fix my status within the USA if I entered undocumented and have been working for four years?

estatus migratorio

You may have wondered if you can fix your immigration status within the United States, even if you have entered irregularly and are undocumented.

Therefore, at Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we tell you if it is possible to do it without leaving the country and what the conditions would be.

If I entered without papers, can I fix through my employer without leaving the country?

To begin, keep in mind that, in the general rule, an immigrant who entered undocumented could not fix his status within the United States since he would have to leave the country to do so.

This is because when you enter the country irregularly, you are breaking some rules, and you would be considered “inadmissible” under US immigration laws.

However, there are some exceptions, such as immigrants who meet the requirements to fix their status through Law 245i.

How do I know if I can benefit from Law 245i?

To fix through Law 245i, you must meet the following requirements:

  • To have a family o work petition in your name filed between January 14, 1998, and April 30, 2001.
  • The petition must have been admissible at the time of filing.
  • To have proof of your physical presence in the United States on or before December 21, 2000.

We recommend that before submitting your application for naturalization or starting any other process, you consult with an immigration attorney to study the details of your case.

Read also: Who can adjust their status through the 245(i) act?

Remember that at Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help you. Contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process.

Request a consultation here or call us, (509) 498-3485.