What happens if I move while my case is in process with the United States Immigration Service (USCIS)?

United States Immigration Service

Although the immigration laws do not state that it is prohibited to change your residence address while USCIS is processing your case, this could have negative consequences if you do not take the appropriate actions with the United States Immigration Service (USCIS).

So, when you change your address, what you should do in the first instance is notify the United States Immigration Service (USCIS). Also, keep in mind that once you move you must notify the change within 10 days. 

Why should I notify? 

In the first place, one of your commitments as an immigrant is to always have your data and information up to date, even if you are already a Permanent Resident and are not carrying out any immigration procedures at the moment. 

Second, because if the United States Immigration Service (USCIS) is processing your case, they will send you all the information about your application to your current address. 

What happens if I do not notify this change? 

First, keep in mind that this can be considered a crime by the immigration authorities, and you could even have to pay a penalty fee of up to 200 dollars. 

On the other hand, if USCIS sends important information to your address (for example, the notification of the appointment to take your biometric data) but you did not know about it because you no longer live there, you will miss your appointment and this will generate delays in your request. 

Does everyone have to notify the change of address? 

According to immigration laws, all immigrants must do so and the only ones who are not required to notify their change of address are US citizens (by birth or naturalization). 

However, if the citizen is carrying out an immigration procedure as a sponsor in a petition for a relative, they must notify USCIS of this change to be informed of everything corresponding to the application. 

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help you. Contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and throughout your process. 

Request a consultation here or call us, (509) 498-3485.

Also you can see information here:

How can I start the application for residence? 

¿How can I check my status?