Is it possible to lose citizenship?

Although it is rare to withdraw an American citizenship, it does not mean that it is impossible to lose it. United States law stipulates that denaturation can be established under certain circumstances. 

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we will tell you which ones. 

In what cases can I lose my citizenship? 

To avoid losing your citizenship, you must know which are the nine most common points by which the sanction can be established. These are: 

  • Pledge allegiance or oath to another country after reaching the age of 18. 
  • Serve at any rank to a foreign army that has presented hostility to the United States. 
  • Serve as a soldier in an army not hostile to the United States. 
  • Work for a foreign government after reaching the age of 18. 
  • Serve as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer in the military of a country other than the United States. 
  • Condemnation for attempting to overthrow the government of the United States. 
  • A conviction for treason against the United States. 
  • Obtain the nationality of another country voluntarily and by request after reaching the age of majority.
  • Formally and voluntarily renounce citizenship. 

It is also important to mention that an annulment of citizenship can also be given to people who committed fraud in the naturalization process or obtaining a Green Card. 

Can there be exceptions if the job is related to another government and I want to keep my US citizenship? 

Yes, there may be exceptions. Provided that the person who received the position shows that he is not going to practice against the American government and has no interest in ceasing to be a citizen of the country. 

If your case is related to work with another government, it will be evaluated if you took an oath or carried out any promise as a condition to obtain the position. 

However, for more information, we recommend contacting an immigration lawyer, who can study your case in greater detail. 

Also read: 5 ways to Obtain United States Citizenship 

Remember that at Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help you. Contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process. 

Request a consultation or call us, (509) 498-3485.