If your son is a citizen, over 21 and works, he should help you with this.

You are being abused by your son, but he is a citizen and adult. Do you know what measures you can take to get out of this situation? At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we will tell you what you can do. 

There is a law that protects victims of abuse or mistreatment. It is the VAWA or Violence Against Women Act, which despite its name, applies to women and men. 

Under what circumstances can you apply for VAWA protection? 

There are different situations in which a person can avail themselves of the protections provided by this law, to do so, the abuse must have happened at the hands of: 

  • A son or daughter who is a US citizen. 
  • A parent who is a US citizen. 
  • A spouse, or former spouse who is a US citizen. 
  • A parent, spouse, or former spouse who is a legal resident. 

In these cases, the victim can file her petition without the knowledge of her abuser. It is a great advantage because the person will be feeling more secure with her process to get away from their abuser.  Also, the abuser will never be notified of the request. 

How else can obtaining VAWA protection help you? 

By applying for VAWA, you not only get the protection of the law, but your process to become a Lawful Permanent Resident could also be facilitated. 

Also read: What crimes does VAWA support you against? 

What recommendation do we make? 

First, you must remain calm and with a signal about any abuse, contact the authorities and make the respective report. 

We know that the situation can be difficult and painful in many cases. 

But you must not forget that your safety comes first and that you must seek the necessary support for your case. 

Remember that at Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help you. Contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process. 

Request a consultation or call us, (509) 498-3485.