If my Green Card expires, can I continue with my naturalization process?

solicitud ciudadanía

If you are applying for citizenship and your Green Card is expired or is about to expire, you would want to know if this would affect your application and if it is necessary to renew it to continue with the process.

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we tell you what you need to know about this process.

If my Green Card expires while I am applying for citizenship, do I have to renew it to continue the process?

If you applied for American citizenship and your Green Card is expired or about to expire, you should know that this does not interrupt your naturalization process, but you will have to apply for a new one.

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), every permanent resident must have valid and current proof of her status.

Keep in mind that the renewal process can take several weeks, so remember to apply in advance because if your Green Card expires, you will not be able to access the benefits it offers.

What other requirements are there to apply for citizenship?

Before applying for naturalization, make sure you meet the basic requirements. Here we tell you what they are:

  • Be at least 18 years old and have been a permanent resident for at least 3 or 5 years depending on the particular case.
  • Be a person of good moral character and have no criminal record for serious crimes.
  • Have a basic knowledge of the US government and a basic command of English.
  • Have a period of physical presence and continuous residence in the country.

We recommend that before starting any process you consult with an immigration lawyer to study the details of your case.

Read also: What level of English should I have for the citizenship test?

Remember that at Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help you. Contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process.

Request a consultation here or call us, (509) 498-3485