If I have been married for more than two years, can I get my permanent residence?

permanent residence

One of the most frequent doubts in immigration is about the times required to obtain a permanent residence by marriage for spouses of U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents.

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we tell you what you need to know to determine if you meet the minimum time required to apply for legal permanent residence.

Can I get my permanent residency if I have been married for more than two years?

If at the time of making your residence application you have been married for more than two years, you can apply to obtain your legal permanent residence, which must be renewed every 10 years.

To do so, you must present evidence that your marriage was legitimate, true, and well-intentioned.

In addition, you will also need to submit all other documents required by the consulate and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

What if I’ve been married for less than two years?

On the other hand, if you have been married for less than two years at the time of applying for your residence and that it is approved, you will obtain a conditional permanent residence or conditional Green Card for a term of 2 years.

To remove the conditions of your Green Card, you and your spouse must apply within 90 days before the end of your conditional permanent residence.

If you do not request the removal of the conditions from your Conditional Permanent Residence within the stipulated times, you could risk entering a deportation process.

We recommend you to consult an immigration lawyer before starting your process, to study your case in detail and solve all your doubts.

Read also: What happens in a Green Card process for the spouse?

Remember that at Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help you. Contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process.

Request a consultation here or call us, (509) 498-3485.