If DACA expired and you no longer go to school, can you still qualify to renew?

es posible renovar el DACA

One of the most frequent questions we receive is whether it is possible to renew DACA and continue to receive benefits once it has expired. However, to do so, you need to know the following requirements. 

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we will tell you what you need to know for these cases. 

1. Is it possible to qualify for DACA renewal once it has expired? 

Yes, it is. 

However, we recommended that the renewal request be requested as soon as possible. Preferably before the expiration date of one year. 

In those cases, the application is sent to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and the corresponding forms are filled out. 

If you miss more than a year, you must apply again but taking the process from the beginning. 

Those solutions help people who have exceeded the renewal time. But the ideal is not to get there. 

The person must be aware of the deadline and seek an immigration attorney months before the expiration to advance the process. 

2. Must you be in school to apply? 

You can apply to the DACA program if you are a student, but it is not the only requirement needed. 

To accept a person into the program immigration authorities, check if someone: 

  • Was under 31 on June 15, 2012 
  • Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012 
  • Was at least 15 years old at the time of applying. 
  • Come to the United States before having 16 years old. 
  • Were physically present in the country at the time of making the request. 
  • Enrolled in high school or the GED program. 
  • Graduated from a public or private high school. 
  • Earned a GED (Graduate Equivalency Degree). 
  • You are an honorably discharged veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or Coast Guard. 

Also read: If I have DACA, can I apply for unemployment insurance? 

Remember that at Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help you. Contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process. 

Request a consultation here or call us, (509) 498-3485.