How do I know if my immigration case in the United States was approved?

immigration United States

When we file a petition and start our immigration case in the United States, we count every day that passes, and the wait can be longer than we would like. 

However, before starting this process we must arm ourselves with patience and consider that waiting times can vary.  Sometimes it takes much longer than expected due to some factors that do not depend on us. 

How to check the status of your case? 

First, it is necessary to be attentive to correspondence from the United States Immigration Service (USCIS) since this agency is in charge of notifying everything related to immigration applications. 

On the other hand, you can also check the status of your process through the USCIS website, having your receipt number at hand. You can find this number on the notification you received at your address when the immigration authorities received your immigration case in the United States. 

In addition, you will also find this number in all other communications that USCIS has had with you since you started the process. 

Keep in mind that this is a unique number that identifies your case and is made up of 13 characters (three letters and 10 numbers) that the Immigration Service assigns and uses to identify and track each case. 

Other alternatives to review your case 

If you wish to follow up on your case by different means than the USCIS website, it is also possible to consult it through email, telephone lines, correspondence, or even in person at your processing center. 

However, if you do it through the website, you will have an immediate response about the status of your immigration case in the United States. But if you do it by other means, it could take several days or even weeks to get an update on your case. 

Finally, remember that in addition to knowing the status of your case, through the USCIS website you can also do the following actions: 

  • Check processing times
  • Submit an inquiry about your case if it is outside of regular processing times
  • Update your mailing address
  • Ask about correspondence you haven’t received
  • Request an appointment adjustment if you cannot attend due to an emergency

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help you. Contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and throughout your process. 

Request a consultation here or call us, (509) 498-3485.