How do I know if I am deported from the USA?

Deportation is one of the most difficult processes that an immigrant can suffer. At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we will tell you what to do to find out if you have a deportation order.

The first thing to be clear about is the difference between removal and deportation. Many people confuse the two concepts, and they do not necessarily mean the same thing.

A removal process is when the immigration authorities physically expel the person from the country.

On the other hand, deportation is ordered and signed by an immigration judge in court. This decision can be appealed to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), where the case will be reviewed, and a new sentence will be issued.

A person can be detained and deported if he/she entered the country illegally, committed a crime, violated immigration laws, or is considered a threat to public safety.

One of the easiest ways to find out if a deportation order is against you is by checking your immigration record. You can do this by contacting the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), an immigration court, or ICE.

Also read: How to check your immigration record in the USA?

Another option is to call the Department of Justice Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR). You can dial toll-free 1-800-898-7180 ​​for information on the status of a case 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Information related to hearing dates, case processing information, results, and decisions of immigration judges, as well as regarding appeals before the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), among other procedures, can be consulted on the line.

You will need to have the Alien Registration Number (A-Number) that begins with the letter A and consists of 8 or 9 digits.

If the person is already in custody, they can check at ICE Online Detainee Locator System. They will ask for the detainee’s A-Number, first and last name, country, and date of birth.

You can also contact the Enforcement and Removal Operations Field Office in your state, consulting the list on their website.

What happens if I am deported?

If the immigration authorities suspect the activities of an immigrant, they might detain the person and send him/her to one of the Detention Centers located all over the country. The case will be registered in the immigration court.

The person must attend the hearing. If the hearing goes against, ICE will notify the date and place to report and leave the country.

Sometimes this decision can be appealed, in other cases, the person is deported immediately.

If someone ignores this deportation order, the immigration authorities will assign units to arrest the person and take him/her into custody in a detention center while the removal is carried out. In this case, it is not possible to appeal.

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) establishes penalties of several years for people who have been expelled from the United States, from a few years to a lifetime vetting.

It means that you will not have authorization from the U.S. Government to enter the country again for the time indicated in the sentence.

If you or someone you know is currently at risk of deportation, consult your case with an immigration attorney. Do not wait until it is too late to act. Your future depends on it.

This article contains general information and should not be considered as legal advice or defense against deportation proceedings.

Contact a certified immigration attorney for advice on your situation. Only then you can make the best decision for your case.

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help. We can advise you about the immigration procedures that you and your family need.

Do not hesitate to contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process.

Request a consultation or call us, (509) 498-3485.