How to check your immigration record in the USA?

Having a travel record to the United States is very useful when you need to start immigration procedures or when appealing cases in immigration courts.

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we will tell you how to check your immigration record in the United States.

What is the immigration record?

The immigration record is the registry of entry and exit of visitors to the United States and one of the most important documents for those who visit the country, since the legal entry type and authorized time to stay are recorded there.

All foreigners who have ever traveled to the United States, who have had a visa or Green Card, have an immigration record. It is the same for those who have been detained at the border or denied entry into the country.

A person who entered the country illegally, someone who has never traveled to the United States and who has never applied for a visa does not have an immigration record.

How to get the immigration record of a person in the USA?

Access to immigration records in the United States is granted by the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). This means that all people can request their records before any federal agency, including foreigners in the country, regardless of their immigration status.

There are several ways to obtain a person’s immigration record. Besides, it can be requested from different agencies, depending on the type of record that is required.

Request immigration record with USCIS

USCIS handles applications related to petitions for foreign relatives and Green Card asylum, work authorization, Advance Parole, DACA, change or extension of visas, and naturalization.

If the record is related to these processes, you can request it on the website for free.

You can also do it by mail, sending the request in English to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, National Records Center, FOIA / PA Office. P.O. Box 648010, Lee’s Summit, MO 64064-8010.

Besides, you can call 1-800-375-5283, 1-816-350-5787 or e-mail at

Request immigration record with CBP

If you had an incident with the Customs Border Patrol (CBP) at a border or airport, you would need to request your record on their website.

Request immigration record with an immigration court

In procedures related to deportation or immigration appointments before a judge, the record must be requested with the Department of Justice, at the Service Center Executive Office for Immigration Review, 5107 Leesburg Pike, suite 1903. VA 22041 or by email

Request immigration record with ICE

Those who have been detained by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement should request to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Freedom of Information Act Office. 500 12th Street SW, Stop 5009. Washington, DC 20536-5009

Usually, you will receive a notification stating that they have received your request. The federal agency must respond within 20 days, although it might take between three and six months.

Also read: What is the receipt number for immigration applications?

To keep in mind

It is convenient to keep the immigration record on hand in case the person is denied a visa, a Green Card, or deported.

In this situation, the person and his/her lawyer may use the immigration record to argue the case and have clarity about the procedure to follow.

For example, if you are going to start an immigration procedure, such as an adjustment of status or naturalization, one of the requirements that they will ask you is the immigration record.

If you have an undocumented presence in the country and need to fix your status, it is best to consult an immigration attorney.

Get advice before starting any procedure, so you can be sure of the steps to follow and avoid wasting time and money.

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help. We can advise you about the immigration procedures that you and your family need.

Do not hesitate to contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process.

Request a consultation or call us, (509) 498-3485.