What is the difference between Parole in Place and Visa?

Both allow entry to the United States, but they should not be confused as each has a specific use. At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC we will tell you what they are.

Remember that a Visa (Verified International Stay Approval) is a document that authorizes the legal stay of a person in a specific country for a specific time.

There are nonimmigrant visas, such as those granted to tourists, students, temporary workers, and immigrant visas that grant permanent residence, work authorization, and other benefits to family members of US citizens and lawful permanent residents.

Also read: What types of visas are there, and how long does it take to obtain them?

What is immigration parole?

Generally speaking, parole is one of the ways a person can access to the United States under specific circumstances.

In immigration, there are various types of paroles. For example, parole can be a humanitarian permit that serves to allow temporary entry to persons who are otherwise inadmissible or ineligible to enter the country due to an emergency.

There is also the Advance Parole, or permission to travel outside the United States. This document authorizes its holder to re-enter the country after a specified time.

For example, if lawful permanent residents want to travel outside of the United States, they will need an Advance Parole to re-enter and their length of stay in the country is not affected, one of the requirements to opt for US citizenship through naturalization.

And finally, there is the Parole in Place, which applies to other types of cases. Let us see what it is and what it is for.

What is Parole in Place?

Parole in Place, also known as PIP, is a process through which family members of the military can access some immigration benefits.

PIP allows a foreigner who entered the United States without authorization from an immigration officer to stay in the country for a certain time. Parole in Place is usually granted for urgent humanitarian reasons or significant public benefit.

According to immigration law, PIP grants some of the benefits of a Green Card, although it does not exempt the time of illegal stay outside the granted permit.

To be eligible you must be an immediate relative of the military, spouse, widower (a), father, mother, or child.

You will need to process your parole with USCIS, pay the corresponding fees, and prove your links to the military, such as the marriage certificate, child’s birth certificate, or military’s birth certificate with the name of the father and mother, and evidence of belonging or have been a member of the Armed Forces.

To keep in mind

If the military’s family member entered the country legally but exceeded the time of stay allowed by the visa, he/she is not eligible for Parole in Place, although he/she could be eligible for Deferred Action.

Not only immediate family members of active military personnel can access PIP benefits, but also family members of veterans and reserve members who have not been dishonorably discharged from service.

This article provides general information and should not be considered legal advice. Consult with your immigration attorney to find out how to proceed with your case.

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help. We can advise you with the immigration procedures that you and your family need.

Do not hesitate to contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process.

Request a consultation or call us, (509) 498-3485.