If I am a US citizen, can I petition my adoptive parents?

petición a padres adoptivos

Family applications are the most made by residents and citizens who want to offer better chances to their families.

To make the application the beneficiary must be a direct relative of the petitioner and prove it.

However, if you are an adopted person, could you also apply in the same way?

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we will answer what you need to know.

1- I am adopted. Can I still request my parents?

Yes, you can do it even if you don’t have a blood bond.

However, the immigration authorities will likely ask you to have the documents that demonstrate the link between your parents and you. These can be the adoption certificate, receipts, accounts, among others.

Keep in mind that having their personal documents, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, among others, could save you more time searching later.

2- Can I request another relative?

It applies the same as with adoptive parents. The request can be made if you demonstrate the family, affective and economic bond with them.

In addition, the petition can be made, with direct relatives, such as parents, siblings, children, and spouses.

3- What is advisable to do in these cases?

We suggest that you contact an immigration lawyer, who can study your situation in greater detail and give you an answer more in line with what you need to do.

Also read: How can the parent petition process be started?

Remember that at Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help you. Contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process.

Request a consultation or call us, (509) 498-3485.