Can it be applied to the U Visa, still many years after the attack?

visa U recent attack

On some occasions, people contacted us to ask us if the U Visa applies only to recent attacks or can be granted when the attack took place many years ago.

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we will respond to your concerns.

1- To receive the U Visa, did the attack have to be recent?

No, to receive the U Visa, the attack does not need to be recent.

It may have happened years ago. However, for the complaint to be considered by the authorities, it is necessary to show evidence of the incident.

For example, if you have the police report with you or show that the person who committed the attack against you still represents a danger to you.

In those cases, we recommended that you seek the advice of an immigration attorney who can study your situation in greater detail to address the request in a relevant manner.

2- What are the crimes considered for the U Visa?

If you do not know if the crime committed against you can help you carry out the procedure, reading the following list will clarify your doubts. The recognized crimes by the U Visa are:

  • Rapture
  • Blackmail
  • Abusive sexual contact
  • Abuse or violence in the home
  • Criminal aggression
  • Extortion
  • Deprivation of liberty
  • Genital mutilation
  • Hostage
  • Involuntary servitude
  • Criminal servitude
  • Kidnapping
  • Involuntary manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Perjury
  • Obstruction of justice
  • Prostitution
  • Rape
  • Sexual assault
  • Sexual exploitation
  • Slave trade
  • Torture
  • Human trafficking
  • Interference with witnesses
  • Unlawful criminal restriction.

Also read: Can I travel to my country while I am in the U Visa process?

Remember that at Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help you. Contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process.

Request a consultation or call us, (509) 498-3485.