Can I work while I am waiting for my Green Card?

A Green Card process, the document which authorizes its holder to work in the U.S., can take a long time to complete. In the meantime, a person who wants to work in the country will need a work permit first. 

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we will tell you what to do so you can work while you wait for your Green Card.  

If you are in the country, already applied for your Green Card and it is pending, you may be eligible for a work permit while you are granted residency. 

Also known as the Employment Authorization Document (EAD), the work permit is essential. By law, companies cannot hire someone who does not have one.  

Generally, a person requests the EAD along with the permanent residency. If this is not your case, you can also apply for your work permit later. It means that you will have to fill out the form and pay the corresponding fee established by USCIS. 

On the other hand, if you entered with a work visa such as H1-B or L1, you will be able to continue working with it while your residency application is processed. 

If you already have a work permit, but it is about to expire, and your Green Card is not approved yet, you will need to renew your EAD. 

You can send the renewal application up to 120 days after it has expired, attaching a copy of your current EAD and any additional documents that USCIS requests.  

Finally, when you obtain your Green Card, your work permit will automatically terminate. As a permanent resident, you will not need to be issued additional authorization. The Green Card already grants you this permit.  

Also read: Can I obtain a Green Card without an H1B visa?

Be aware and seek the advice of an immigration lawyer who can assess the possibilities of your case. Avoid at all costs working without authorization or committing document fraud. These serious offenses can make it harder to get your Green Card. 

At Quiroga Law Office, PLLC, we are willing to help. We can advise you about the immigration procedures that you and your family need. 

Do not hesitate to contact us. Our team of lawyers will take care of your case and will be with you throughout the process. 

Request a consultation or call us, (509) 498-3485.